What Is VisiData?¶
VisiData is a free, open-source tool that lets you quickly open, explore, summarize, and analyze datasets in your computer’s terminal.
You don’t need to be a programmer to use VisiData. Knowing a little bit of Python, however, will make VisiData even more powerful for you.
Why use VisiData?¶
- It’s fast.
- VisiData opens in a blink of an eye, and can load multi-megabyte datasets nearly instantly.
- It’s nimble.
- VisiData makes it easy to search, filter, sort, and join any table.
- It’s great for getting a grasp of new datasets.
- With just a few keystrokes, you can summarize any column.
- It works with lots of data formats.
- CSV, Excel, JSON, and more.
- It’s non-destructive.
- VisiData won’t alter your raw data unless you explicitly tell it to.
- It’s keyboard-driven.
- You never have to reach for a mouse.
Why not use VisiData?¶
VisiData isn’t for every task. You might want to choose another tool for:
- Complex analysis.
- You’re probably better off using Python, R, or another programming language.
- “Literate” analysis.
- Although VisiData lets you save and replay your analyses, it’s not as legible/flexible as Jupyter notebooks, R Markdown, or other tools.
- Mission-critical analysis.
- VisiData is well-engineered, but still a relatively young piece of software.
- Geospatial analysis.
- VisiData can read geospatial data, but doesn’t have many features for analyzing it.